At some point, every law student in the UK and US universities is required to write a thesis or dissertation. In many cases, it is the last hurdle before graduating from a law graduate school. This requirement evokes excitement and horror in equal measures. On the one hand, it is a unique opportunity to interrogate an area of interest academically, but on the other end, it is a monumental responsibility. Therefore, where do you even start? The answer is the ‘topic.’
Because a dissertation is a long piece of writing, the topic you select is very crucial. It will determine how easy or difficult the journey of writing your thesis will be. But how do you even come up with great legal topics to write about?
The first step to picking great law thesis topics is narrowing to areas of interest. In this post, we are going to help you cut to the chase by outlining outstanding legal thesis topics that you can use today. Do not just settle for any topic, go for the best!
Why Scholars Should Choose the Best Law Dissertation Topics
The law thesis topic you select can make or break your dream career. Therefore, no effort should be spared in getting a good topic and crafting a thesis that will catapult you to the next level of your career. Here are some benefits of identifying and working with the best law dissertation topic.
- A great thesis topic allows you to explore the areas that are lacking in the legal profession. Well, you have the opportunity to fill the gap and make a name for yourself.
- A good dissertation topic offers you the opportunity to work on an area of interest. Unlike other areas of your study, this is the only opportunity where you have the freedom to choose. Therefore, select what you associate with and fancy more.
- The topic you select will determine how easy or hard it will be to prepare your thesis. With this in mind, you should go for interesting law topics that have enough resources. If you select the topics with no resources, there is a risk of getting stuck at some point.
- Interesting legal topics to write about also make it easy to defend the thesis. When selecting the topic, it is important to understand that at the end of it, you will be required to defend the thesis. You should only go for the topic that you can easily defend and grab that degree, masters, or PhD accreditation that you have been yearning for years.
Now that you know why you should only go for the best topics, we are going to list the best topics that you should consider in legal studies.
Criminal Law Thesis Topics
Criminal law is an area of legal study and practice that defines what constitutes crime and prosecution of those who commit such crimes. Crime is considered an act or omission of an action that violates a law that forbids or commands it.
As you select legal topics for research papers or a thesis in criminal law, it is important to appreciate that the branch of law is broken into two main categories – misdemeanor and felony. Misdemeanors are crimes considered of low level, and that attracts penalties of less than one-year jail-term. On the other hand, a felony is a more serious crime. Felonies include crimes such as robbery with violence, murder, dealing with drugs, and manslaughter. Here are some great dissertation topics in criminal law.
- A comprehensive evaluation of male and female rape legislations: What are the key differences?
- Analyzing the use of lie detectors in criminal justice: How effective are the lie detectors?
- Evaluating the misuse of manslaughter laws in the US: What are the best ways to protect victims?
- Evaluating crime-related factors that should not be presented in a court of law.
- What are the best ways to protect witnesses from retaliation in criminal cases?
- A deeper look at the history of the death penalty.
- A thematic review of criminal theory: Exploring the link between crime and morality.
- An investigation into the challenges of identifying nature and distribution of crime: A case study of London.
- Use of anonymity in sexual offences lawsuits: How to strike a balance between the rights of defendants and victims.
- What are the implications of the war on terror on the enforcement of criminal law: A case study of the US.
- Evaluating cases of racial prejudice among the prisoners in the US.
- Analyzing the relationship between Islamic criminal law and human rights.
International Law Research Topics
International law is a comprehensive body of norms, standards, and rules that are used between legally recognized international states. The term was first used between 1748 and 1832 by Jeremy Bentham, an English philosopher. It is an interesting area to derive international business law topics because you are able to look at and deal with real problems that face the globe and individual states today.
You can focus your study on things such as war, peace, diplomacy, and economic trade issues. When selecting dissertation topics in international law, it is prudent to appreciate that the discipline has been greatly influenced by ethical principles, especially in the realms of human rights. Here are some great international law topics that you should consider:
- Assessing the challenges faced by different parties when applying the Vienna Convention on Contracts for the International Sale of Goods (CISG).
- Evaluating the future of consumer protection in the post-Brexit era.
- Assessing history and future possibilities of the US and UK military cooperation in addressing terror.
- Evaluating situations in law when a country is allowed by international law to intervene in the affairs of other countries.
- Comparing gaps in human rights law: A closer look at the UK.
- Did the US involvement in Iraq provide justice or violate the law?
- What are the problems of enforcing international law in developing countries? A case study of South Africa and India.
- Evaluating the efficiency of International Tribunals in solving war crimes.
- Rethinking the principles used to formulate international criminal laws.
- Assessing the relationship between public safety and civil liberties in international laws.
- Digital and internet legislation: Forecasting the future.
- International Human Rights Court Hearings: Evaluating the importance of precedence.
Legal Dissertation Topics in Family Law
If you have an interest in legal relationships at the family level, it is advisable to look for dissertation topics in family law. Family law is an area of legal practice that focuses on matters surrounding family relationships. By picking a thesis topic in family law, you will be honing your skills in dealing with issues such as divorce, adoption, and child custody.
Note that according to family law, individual states have their rights to determine the requirements for marriage, including things such as age, legal capacity, and procedures of different things such as marriage and divorce. Therefore, there are very many areas you can focus your dissertation on. Here are some great thesis topics to consider in family law:
- Reviewing the major changes of family law in the last 50 years: A case study of the UK.
- Assessing human rights in states that follow religious laws for families: A case study of India.
- Analyzing the impact of culture on family lawsuits: A case study of Manchester, UK.
- Domestic violence: Evaluating the repercussions for males vs. females.
- Making decisions in divorce cases: Establishing to what extent the child’s desire to stay with one party should influence the decisions made by the courts.
- Evaluating the impacts of the law on divorce: Has it increased the cases of divorce or reduced them?
- What are the legal implications of child neglect in the US: A systematic review of literature
- Evaluating the compatibility of child justice with family justice: A case study of the UK.
- Assessing the factors that hinder couples from pursuing a divorce.
- Is it time to reform US family law?
- Analyzing the legal foundations of parenting and civil partnerships.
Employment Law Dissertation Topics
Employment law is another broad area of legal practice that focuses on employer-employee relationships. If a business has several employees (more than one), it is likely to apply employment law in one area or another. This legal niche comprises of both federal and state laws, and further hinges other subjects such as workers’ rights. This means that if you target employment law for your dissertation, there is a very wide area to pick the topic of choice.
In employment law, it is not simply about understanding which law to apply. In addition, you need to know when a specific law covers a subject, and at what point to seek help from an attorney. Some of the areas that you can base your employment law dissertation include workers’ compensation, labor relations, immigration, social security, wrongful termination, minimum wage, employee benefits, and employment discrimination. To help you with the chase, here are the top employment law dissertation topics that you should consider:
- The convergence of employment laws and religion in the USA: A literature review.
- Comparing the UK laws before and after exiting the European Union.
- Analyzing the impact of trade unions and their work in the UK: What are their successes and challenges?
- A comparative analysis of employment laws application in the automotive industry in the US and UK.
- Are you secure in your job: A comprehensive review of employment contracts and job contracts in the US manufacturing industry.
- Reviewing international firms’ law application and enforcement issues: A case study of Barclays Bank and Southwest Airlines.
- Reviewing legal perspectives of social work employment: A case study of California, USA.
- Employee dismissal: Comparing the legal basis for staff dismissal in the US and EU.
- Equal employment opportunities: Comparing gender differences in the UK and US regulations.
- Evaluating the efficiency of workplace sexual harassment: A case study of the US and UK.
- A legal viewpoint of employee mobility between European Union countries.
- A critical evaluation of the employment law of disabled individuals in the US. What policies should be integrated to enhance its efficiency?
Commercial Law Dissertation Topics
Commercial law is another broad area of legal practice that deals with laws related to persons, businesses, and merchants engaging in sales, trade, and commerce. In some cases, it is also referred to as commercial law. Indeed, it interacts with other areas including real estate, environmental regulation, and safety laws.
To pick a good commercial law dissertation topic, it is important to understand the common issues in the niche. Notably, commercial laws are associated with distinct issues relating to transactions between businesses as well as with their clients. The most notable is the breach of contract by one or both parties. Other issues you can focus on when selecting the commercial law topic include:
- Issues related to unfair competition.
- Disputes and violations related to advertising and marketing.
- Complexities associated with starting new businesses.
- Consumer complaints about businesses and business practices.
- Trade secrets.
When an issue in commercial law is raised, it is resolved depending on the nature of the conflict, or type of violation. The following are some great commercial legal thesis topics you should consider:
- Evaluating the effectiveness of commercial law to support commercial transactions in the US.
- Reviewing the US commercial laws: What should be changed or added?
- Assessing the effectiveness of international commercial law programs in UK universities.
- Reviewing the implications of international commercial law in UK commercial laws.
- Reviewing the use of international commercial law in the energy projects across the globe.
- Evaluating the commercial laws that should be used against dishonest managers.
- A closer look at commercial partnerships: What are the dangers and potential results?
- Evaluating the regulations aimed at stopping corruption: A case study of the UK.
- A comprehensive analysis of pre-incorporation contracts: How do they work?
- A comprehensive evaluation of arbitration under commercial law: A closer look at policy practice in the UK.
- Assessing the mediating role of corporate social responsibility in companies’ performance.
Intellectual Property Law Thesis topics
Intellectual property law is a branch of law that deals with rules for enforcing legal rights, artistic works, designs, and inventions. The same way law protects personal property, so does it protect the control of intangible assets. The aim of this law is benefiting inventors for their creative works.
In the US constitution, Article 1, Section 8 empowers Congress with authority to issue inventors and authors exclusive rights to their works. And, it is not just the US. The UK, Germany, and the EU, among other countries, also have strong statutes crafted to protect intellectual property.
As a student of law, there are diverse areas you can focus on when selecting a topic in intellectual property law. You can focus on copyright that protects people’s rights to their creative work, patents that grant legal rights to original inventions, or trademarks. Others include industrial design rights, trade dress, and plant variety rights. Here are some great intellectual property law dissertation topics that you should consider.
- A comprehensive assessment of the economic impacts of intellectual property rights: A case study of the UK.
- Evaluating the extent and effectiveness of indigenous people’s intellectual rights protection in the US.
- Can the emerging technological advancements operate smoothly with the current intellectual property laws in the US?
- Demystifying the relationship between intellectual property laws and EU regulations?
- Evaluating laws for intellectual property rights protection on the internet.
- A deeper look at the innovation and patent model in the UK: Can the current highly stringent system drive innovation?
- Does the EU copyright law provide ample balance between the needs of inventors and users?
- Evaluating the fair dealing in terms of copyright law: A case study of the US.
- Comparing and contrasting the intellectual property regimes in the UK and US.
- Is the EU intellectual property law safe and fair for users and owners?
- How has EU law impacted the intellectual property regime in the UK?
- What more needs to be done to improve the effectiveness of the current intellectual property laws in the US?
- Evaluating the implications of Brexit on the protection of intellectual property rights in the UK.
Medical Law Dissertation Topics
Medical law is a branch of law that focuses on the responsibilities and rights of medical professionals and patients. Like other legal areas, medical law has different areas that a scholar can focus on. The common area you can focus your dissertation on is confidentiality. Confidentiality between medical experts and patients can be traced back to the English Common Law. But it has recently been codified so that any information provided to a doctor during diagnosis or treatment cannot be released without the patient’s consent or unless the patient demonstrates intention for personal harm.
The other area of interest that you can base your dissertation on is negligence. It can relate to professional malpractice in diagnosing or treating patients resulting in death or injury. But it is important to appreciate that other torts also cross into the medical law field. For example, a medical professional can defame a patient by disclosing the wrong info. Here are some great medical dissertation topics that you should consider.
- Should judges, handling medical-related disputes, undergo special education to make their judgments fact-based?
- Evaluating the laws governing organ transplantation: A case study of the US.
- Abortion: At what point should an embryo be considered capable of having feelings, and abortion should be forbidden?
- Forced sterilization: Who should be targeted, and how should it be implemented?
- Evaluating medical complications in surgeries: What is the best way to decide the responsible party?
- Exploring the legal aspects of electronic fetal monitoring.
- How do ethics and medical law coexist?
- How do lawsuits affect medical practitioners’ commitment to offering lifesaving treatments?
- Law application in medicine: Exploring the antecedents and practice.
- Evaluating the ethical and legal challenges of using biobanks.
- Can a medical practitioner remain neutral when treating a mental disorder?
- Evaluating the effectiveness of animal cruelty punishment methods: A case study of Oregon, USA.
- Unregistered medical intervention in the UK: What are the legal implications?
After Selecting Great Topics … The Writing Journey Has Just Began!
Once you have selected the best legal dissertation topic, your dissertation writing journey has just begun. Therefore, how do you do it? You need to start by creating the right dissertation structure and work with your supervisor. Then, start early enough and work on the dissertation step after step until it is completed.
But we are not going to lie here: writing a dissertation is a huge task. Many are the times that people have written dissertations, only to be told that they are wrong. You do not want to follow that route. Do you?
The sure way to ensure you have the best dissertation is seeking thesis writing help. The writing help is affordable and is offered by expert writers. And, you know what? They have been writing dissertations for years and know the best structure for a winning piece.
NOTE: The dissertation is your last shot at getting a nod to graduate with a master’s or PhD degree. Therefore, make sure to get the right topic and craft the best dissertation with writing help from experts.