After completing your dissertation methodology, the next section to write is the thesis acknowledgement. This is an important part of your thesis that helps you to appreciate people who were helpful during the study. Though writing dissertation acknowledgements comes with more freedom compared to other sections such as the methodology, many are the people who find it very hard to craft.
In this post, we will take a closer look at the mechanics of acknowledgements to help you answer the main question: “What is the best way to write winning thesis acknowledgements?”
Why is Thesis Acknowledgement So Important?
The main purpose of having an acknowledgement page is offering a thankful note to those who provided support to you during the study. Well, consider it as a page saying thank you to your doctor after a lifesaving procedure.
Note that though the thesis acknowledgement does not have an academic bearing, your dissertation cannot be complete without it. Therefore, you must put the best foot forward to making it shine. Make sure to write the acknowledgement starting with the people who were most helpful during the study.
People Who May be Addressed in a Dissertation Acknowledgment
Before setting out to craft a thesis acknowledgment, it is important to start by making a list of the people who helped you or are linked to the study in any way. These people might have encouraged you when the going appeared so tough or edited your work. Some of people you should consider including in the acknowledgment include:
- Your supervisor.
- The academic crew of your study department.
- Organizations that were involved in the study.
- Technical personnel.
- Support staff.
When it comes to family members, note that only those who were directly involved in helping you during the study that should be included.
Useful Phrases for dissertation acknowledgements
If you want to make your acknowledgement page impressive, it is advisable to take a closer look at other dissertation acknowledgements examples. Here are the common phrases that are used in thesis acknowledgments.
- “I would like to pay my special regards to …”
- “I wish to show my gratitude to …”
- “I wish to express my deepest gratitude to …”
- “I wish to thank all the people whose assistance was a milestone in the completion of this project.”
- “I am indebted to …”
- “It is whole-heartedly appreciated that your great advice for my study proved monumental towards the success of this study.”
- “I would like to recognize the invaluable assistance that you all provided during my study.”
Making Your Acknowledgment Shine
After identifying the best phrases to use, you might still be worried about how to write acknowledgment for thesis. Here is a guide to making a great acknowledgment:
- Like other parts of the dissertation, you should ensure that the acknowledgment is as professional as possible. Target making it brief and concise. Only indicate how the people you acknowledge helped you without delving into personal details.
- If the education department has a preferred format for writing acknowledgment, make sure to stick to it. However, most institutions prefer to leave it open for learners to choose.
- Note that thesis acknowledgements give you freedom to select the format. For example, you can opt to use a prose or list format of the people you wish to thank. A list is preferred when you want to include every person with his/her contribution during the study.
- When listing the names of the people in the acknowledgement, it is important to follow the alphabetical order.
- When acknowledging the people who assisted you during the study, start with the most important ones. For example, it is advisable to always start with the supervisor who worked with you from the start of the project to the end. Then, teachers, staff members, assistants, and classmates should be included in that order.
Dissertation Acknowledgements Examples
One of the best ways of learning how to craft a winning thesis acknowledgement is by looking at the top samples. Here are some great samples you can use when crafting your acknowledgements:
- Acknowledgment to Your Supervisor
- Acknowledgment of an Organization that Supported you with Finances
- Acknowledgements for Sincere Supporters
This appreciation is supposed to come at the top. From the time you started to the end of the study, your supervisor was there to offer guidance and correct you. Here is a sample acknowledgment for him/her:
“I wish to express my sincere appreciation to my supervisor, Professor Johnson Robin, who has the substance of a genius: he convincingly guided and encouraged me to be professional and do the right thing even when the road got tough. Without his persistent help, the goal of this project would not have been realized.”
In some cases, some organizations might assist you with funding. Here is a sample acknowledgment thanking them for their support.
“The physical and technical contribution of ‘Animal Protection Society’ is truly appreciated. Without their support and funding, this project could not have reached its goal.”
Note that emotional support can also be included when writing an acknowledgment. Therefore, if you want to thank supporters such as friends, partner, and parents for emotional support, here is a sample of such acknowledgment.
“I wish to acknowledge the support and great love of my family, my wife, Lillian; my mother, Maryanne; and my sister, Jenny. They kept me going on and this work would not have been possible without their input.”
Special Tips for Crafting Winning Acknowledgements
The secret to writing a great acknowledgement is making sure you understand how it is done. As a section that requires utmost sincerity, you want to only acknowledge those who helped make the project successful. Here are some useful tips to consider:
- Consider the acknowledgment as important as other parts of the thesis.
- Be sincere when writing the acknowledgment.
- For the most important people such as the project supervisor, make sure to be more specific about their contribution.
- Though an acknowledgment page should be short, do not feel bad if the list is long. Go ahead and include everyone who assisted you with the project.
- Follow top acknowledgment samples to enrich your format.
- If you feel that additional assistance would be useful, do not hesitate to see dissertation helps.
When you set off writing a thesis acknowledgement, it is important to put all your effort into making it sparkle. As part of the initial sections of your thesis, you want to be sincere and at the same time impress the readers. This post has demonstrated how to craft a winning acknowledgment and use it to set the pace for the thesis. Remember that you should not hesitate to seek assistance from experts on how to write a dissertation and sharpen your skills.