Writing a dissertation is one of the most fulfilling experiences, yet one of the most dreadful too. It is fulfilling in that it marks the climax of your college or university venture. However, the dread comes in when one thinks about the results. What happens if you fail to defend your dissertation? Does it mean that is the end for you?
Our expert writers have collated several options available for you. Read to the end to clear all your doubts and fears about what happens if you fail your dissertation defense.
I Failed My Dissertation, What Might Have Caused That?
To start with, many would rather bury their faces in the sand than admitting their failure. For those bold enough to reveal it, the recovery process is fast, and soon, they are walking head held high. But what are the possible reasons for a failed dissertation?
- One of the reasons can be inadequate help from your supervisor. Most professors are too busy, and finding time for their students becomes a nightmare. The result of this is the student lacking the necessary support, especially for a technical course.
- Another reason might be on the student himself – lacking enough time for their academic studies. Most college and university students are pre-occupied with other activities such as work or family. These might lessen the time one has for research, thus the failure.
- Plagiarism is a killer of many dissertations. Once proven beyond doubt that you have taken someone else’s work as your own, a Fail would be inevitable. In most universities, this is the first thing that they look at when you submit your paper.
- Others include missing lectures, laziness on the student’s part, or inability to access the relevant reading sources during research. All these and many others are possible reasons for a failed undergraduate dissertation.
How Bad Does a Dissertation Have To Be To Fail?
Technically speaking, it is rare for one to fail a dissertation because it’s not a paper one writes for two hours or one week. Such a paper takes months or even years to complete. Therefore, one can identify the mistakes in the course of this long period. Furthermore, the report is assessed chapter by chapter so, by the time you’re concluding, your supervisor would have identified a couple of errors and told you to correct.
However, some may still fail because of a couple of reasons. One of them would be missing sections in the final paper. If, for instance, the research methodology or abstract is missing, then you might stand a chance of failing.
A poor layout may also cost you a lot. Failure to follow the right structure may cause your paper to be marked down – for instance, bringing the conclusion before the results and findings.
If technical terms or proper research methods are missing, then you can forget about your degree. These show a lack of knowledge, which is the essence of the dissertation.
Can You Re-sit a Dissertation?
So what next after a failed Master’s dissertation? Can one take a re-sit just like any other college or university exam?
To fail a dissertation paper, you will have scored below the cut mark that is typically 40 for most institutions. That is why the dissertation failure rate is lower. Most students can beat the cut-off points even by one point.
When you fail your dissertation, there is a chance for you to take a reassessment. But before you start rejoicing, there is something you need to know about this retake. The pass mark is caped lower to a minimum mark because of your first failure.
Therefore, even if you give it your best shot, it would take a miracle for you to attain anything closer to grade B. And if you fail the second attempt, it will be considered a complete failure. Need I mention the repercussions of that last statement?
Can You Graduate if You Fail Your Dissertation?
No! Graduating with a Fail would be like celebrating your failure. Most institutions allow for re-sits, after which one can graduate if they pass the set mark. Therefore, you should strive for a high-quality paper if you want to secure a spot on the graduation list.
Is There Room for Appeal After I Failed My Degree?
At times, circumstances might be the cause of failure. After all, nobody wants to spend three or more years in school to fail in the end. Therefore, if you feel that you have compelling reasons that caused you to fail, you can always appeal.
You might have genuine reasons like being hospitalized and not studying well or financial constraints in the family. All you have to do is draft a letter appealing for the Fail while stating the reasons behind it.
After submitting the letter, the university council will look at it with the attached evidence. Upon a successful review, you can re-sit the exam or resubmit your paper. Different universities have their way of dealing with such cases.
How To Avoid The ‘I Failed My Dissertation’ Regrets
Are you aware that you can avoid failing your dissertation? Here are pro tips for an exceptional dissertation paper:
- Review your paper before submission: It will help you detect typos, weird formatting, or wrong structure. Check to ensure that each section is supposed to be and that no part is missing.
- Run your paper through a superior plagiarism software: If your dissertation is 100% original, you can confidently submit it. You should also check your referencing and citations to prevent penalties for plagiarism.
- Consult with your supervisor every time: When you complete a section, check whether everything you’ve written is in tandem with the paper’s overall goal. In case of any challenges, raise them earlier before they become too great for you to handle.
- Research extensively: Any research paper aims to test your knowledge on a particular topic. You can only achieve this by reading widely and consulting a variety of sources.
- Seek writing help from dissertation experts: These come in handy to give you the essential tips and tricks for cracking a dissertation. They also offer writing help, especially when you are rushing against time to submit your paper.
You do not have to be a victim of failing a dissertation. Take the words of counsel from our gurus and graduate with top grades. Our professional dissertation writing services are affordable for all.
Hit us up today and get a quality dissertation delivered to you in no time!