Do you have an important environmental studies paper but are having trouble coming up with sustainability project ideas? Have you pored over your class notes and readings but have yet to come up with sustainability ideas you find interesting and challenging? This happens to a lot of students, especially when they are swamped with several other academic responsibilities to deal with.
Best Sustainability Topics For Your Research
We’ve put together 100 exceptional sustainability topics that can be used for a variety of situations. The list covers topics in sustainability for grade school, middle school, high school, college, and graduate school. Check out our list and see what inspires you. Our ecology topics may also come in handy.
Sustainability Topics for Students in Grade School
- Describe the impact our carbon footprint means on future generations.
- Describe the differences in sustainability education.
- Explain how your school can adopt practices for a sustainable campus.
- Does your school already adapt to a good sustainability program?
- Does your school have solar panels on its buildings’ rooftops?
- What are the benefits of adopting sustainability education into curricula?
Sustainability Paper Topics for Middle School
- What does the impact of non-plastic waste in our oceans mean for the environment?
- What effect do greenhouses have in growing our fruits and vegetables?
- Should governments invest more in solar energy technologies?
- How do solar panels make a home energy efficient?
- Does your school have an optimized ventilation system?
- Do modular classrooms improve campus sustainability?
Sustainability Research Topics for High School Students
- Explain how modular classrooms can improve sustainability through the use of natural light.
- What evidence is there to support that sustainable classrooms reduce absenteeism?
- How much energy is saved by setting computers to shut off when they are idle?
- What are the benefits of changing classroom hours to utilize natural lighting?
- Should school terms be arranged around the seasons to conserve energy?
- Can a game theory be applied to challenges in sustainability?
Sustainability Essay Topics for College Students
- Explain how carbon footprint and bio-capacity differ in different countries and regions.
- What are the biggest challenges companies face when trying to conserve energy?
- What are the most impactful environmental groups cleaning up plastic in the oceans?
- How many tons of plastic is there in the ocean?
- What are the positive effects of reducing the brightness of computer screens?
- Which countries have the least environmental protection laws?
Sustainability Dissertation Topics for Ph.D. Students
- Compare and contrast non-profit groups focused on advancing sustainability.
- Do sustainable classroom designs improve learning in students?
- Can employers save on energy costs by adding more natural lighting?
- What types of technologies exist to help deter environmental pollution?
- Is veganism good for the environment?
- Are paper towels more effective than hand dryers at reducing the spread of germs?
Environmental Sustainability Topics for Every Occasion
- What is the correlation between a country’s GDP and pollution?
- Why do cities with higher poverty rates struggle to start recycling programs?
- What are the biggest political challenges affecting the U.S. environment?
- What are the positive effects of switching to a vegan diet?
- Should the U.S. take a greater role in helping third-world countries become sustainable?
- How effective are your local environmental policies?
Interesting Sustainability Topics for Papers
- Should college campuses ban the use of plastics?
- How does the amount of food consumption impact the environment?
- What does Sweden do so differently from other countries regarding its environment?
- What are the best technologies in the market to reduce waste in large cities?
- How does the use of plastic floating balls reduce evaporation in reservoirs?
- Why has the United States failed to reduce the amount of food waste?
Sustainability Topics for Essays to Do Overnight
- In what ways do improved recycling technologies impact how waste ends up in landfills?
- How bad are plastic straws for the Earth’s environment?
- Do taxes on single-use items reduce the amount of waste that goes into landfills?
- Explain why certain states in the U.S. have had success banning plastic bags?
- What is the correlation between overpopulation and pollution?
- How will the world’s population in fifty years impact the Earth’s environment?
Sustainability Hot Topics for 2022
- Does the Earth have enough resources to support the population in the 21st century?
- What can governments do to increase food resources?
- Should cities ban the use of plastic straws?
- Why is sea life so important to the ecosystem?
- How much of our carbon footprint comes from farm animals?
- Why is it so important to keep waste from ending up in our oceans?
Topics on Sustainability for a Long-Term Project
- What are the benefits of getting a fair-trade certification on university campuses?
- What are the benefits of buying food from local farmers?
- Can your city impose a food donation program?
- What can you do to bring a farmers market to your community?
- Does buffet-style dining help or harm sustainability efforts?
- Should cities impose a special tax on single-use plastic items?
Topics about Sustainability for a Short-Term Project
- Can cafeteria food leftovers be donated to homeless shelters?
- How do food programs help communities?
- How much land is necessary to grow vegan food products?
- What can cities do to help families with children during the pandemic?
- What does it mean to be sustainable in the 21st century?
- Why is it important to support local food markets?
Sustainability Projects Ideas for High School Students
- What would happen to greenhouse emissions if people ate less meat?
- Can we improve air quality by eating less red meat?
- What are the benefits of eating a plant-based diet?
- Should your school introduce more vegan food choices?
- Are pescatarian diets better for the environment?
- What are the negative environmental effects of slaughterhouses?
Sustainability Ideas for Schools with Large Populations
- What would happen if restaurants served buffet-like meals?
- How difficult is it to reduce air pollution in large cities?
- Should cities mandate community gardens to reduce food waste?
- What are the benefits of incorporating public transportation systems?
- Should cities mandate the use of solar panels in their larger buildings?
Controversial Sustainability Topics for Grad-Level Courses
- Should we reduce the amount of technology-use to help the environment?
- Do smaller classroom sizes help or harm the environment?
- What would happen if we reduced the school week from five to four days?
- Do shorter school days help reduce energy use?
- In what ways has the Covid-19 pandemic affected the environment?
Fun Sustainability Topics List to Try at Home
- Develop a sustainable education program for your family.
- Find a new change to make your home more sustainable each week.
- Teach your children the difference between renewable and nonrenewable resources.
- Does keeping a home at a certain temperature help reduce energy costs?
- How much food goes unused and ends up in your trash?
Sustainability Topics for Research Everyone Can All Do
- How does pollution increase the level of sickness in people?
- How does a developing country provide ample water resources?
- In what ways does government policy help or hurt the environment?
- Should cities create more public spaces (e.g. parks, riverbeds)?
- What can be done to help developing countries maintain clean water?
Topics of Sustainability for Young People
- Sift through your classroom’s trash and identify what can be renewed.
- Discuss how Sweden has been able to turn its waste into heating.
- What has Denmark done to reduce its food waste?
- How can we improve the quality of care by reducing pollution?
- What is the major ecological challenge the U.S. must face in the next 50 years?
Sustainability Research Paper Topics for Everyone
- How do “green universities” help the mental health of students?
- What are the most effective methods of growing your food?
- What can people do in the community to reduce unnecessary waste?
- How does gardening or landscaping improve air quality around the home?
- What can cities do to create community gardens?
Need more assistance coming up with sustainability topics? Our team of research helpers can develop ideas for any type of assignment. From essays to dissertations, we’ve got you covered. Just let us know what you need and we will connect you with a pro that can work with you from the start to the end of your assignment.