Philosophy is one of the most interesting areas of study because it deals with fundamental questions that arise in everyday life. These questions concern reality and further extend to other disciplines. The goal of philosophy is not to simply master facts, but to think through them. This means you critically analyze, discern hidden arguments, and construct logical arguments. What an interesting niche!
As a PhD student, your last step is to write a thesis. This is the last paper that demonstrates you are ready to venture into your philosophy career. To write a great philosophy PhD thesis, the first step is picking the right topic.
In this post, we are going to take a closer look at writing a philosophy PhD thesis to help you identify the best topics. We will demonstrate the main areas of philosophy where you can derive good topics and provide a comprehensive philosophy topics list.
Main Areas to Consider for Your Philosophy PhD Thesis
Before picking the most popular thesis topics for your study, it is important to understand the different areas of philosophy. This will help you narrow down to the area of interest and write a great thesis:
- Epistemology: This is one of the top areas to base your philosophy PhD thesis topics. Epistemology deals with questions about belief and knowledge. Some of the questions that epistemology seeks to answer include what is the difference between believing something and knowing something? What determines whether a belief is rational or not?
- Metaphysics: This is an area of philosophy that focuses on what reality is. In this area of study, you will seek to answer questions on ontology, nature, persons, objects, modality, time, space, and laws of nature, among others. According to Plato, in addition to what is observable, there is an additional realm of eternal entities such as beauty, justice, and goodness.
- Logic: Logic in philosophy, is the study of inference patterns. Unlike in psychology, logic in philosophy is about questions of exploring when a specific claim is supported by other claims. Logical validity is closely connected to concepts such as if, and, or, not, some, and then.
- Political philosophy: This is a branch of philosophy that involves concepts and values related to political matters. Other areas you can base your philosophy thesis topics include moral philosophy and history of philosophy.
How To Select the Best Topics of Philosophy for Your Thesis
When it comes to picking a thesis topic, no effort should be spared to make sure you select the best. Here are some of the main reasons why you should go for good philosophy topics.
Picking a great philosophy thesis topic allows you to identify and fill areas that are lacking. This is an opportunity to leave a mark in the field of philosophy.
Unlike other assignments where the tutor provides you with the topics to work on, the philosophy thesis is one case when you have the opportunity to choose. Therefore, go ahead and pick what pleases you.
The topic you select determines the ease of writing your PhD thesis. For example, a topic with ample resources is easy to work on compared to the one that has none.
With good philosophy research topics, defending your thesis becomes easy.
Interesting Philosophy Topics for Your Dissertation
Now that we have looked at the top areas, you can base your philosophy PhD thesis on; we are going to list popular topics that you can consider. Note that most of the topics take the form of a question because philosophy is all about questioning and seeking logical answers.
- Why we should stop capital punishment and adopt permanent solutions to help solve crimes.
- Can a person be happy without a family?
- A vacation or well-paid job: What would you take?
- Should people always obey the rules? A closer look at the line between breaking rules and rebellion.
- A closer look at modern life values.
- What makes people commit crimes even when they know that they will face capital punishment?
- Is there life after death?
- Loneliness: Reconstructing its meaning.
- Wealth: Is it possible to be rich without having a lot of money?
- The main characters that define a person: Is it possible to change them?
- Understanding why religion is important above anything else for a lot of people around the globe.
- Reasons why we cannot declare humanity as a supreme religion.
- Evaluating life existence: Are humans the only living organisms?
- What makes people kill in the name of religion?
- Morality and religion: Why are they different, yet they talk about the same thing?
- What makes women to be considered less strong physically as compared to men?
- How can the custom of dowry be eliminated from people’s minds?
- To love or to be loved: Which is more important?
- What is the value of truth? Are there instances when lying is good?
- What is the perfect life? What prevents people from living it?
- Is it possible for parents to be the best friends to their children in real sense?
- Evaluating how the age of maturity and age of marriage are defined by society.
- Why social behavior and ethics cannot be separated.
- What is the best way to boost a person’s creativity?
Good Philosophy Thesis Topics
- Are animals different from people?
- A deeper look at things that make human life meaningful.
- What are the pros and cons of total control?
- Is it possible to create an ideal society?
- What are the best ways to reach peace in the world?
- Exploring the roles of good and evil.
- Should the church be involved in politics?
- Euthanasia: Is it ethical?
- Evaluating the relationship between war and peace.
- Social media: A deeper look at how it has affected people’s moral behavior.
- Analyzing the impact of beauty on human development.
- Is it possible to always think positively?
- Should parents be held responsible for the actions of their children?
- A deeper look at supernatural: Is there any proof?
- Suicide: What are the associated pros and cons?
- Can animal experiments be justified?
- What are the pros and cons of communism?
- What are the pros and cons of utilitarianism?
- Evaluating the pros and cons of artificial intelligence.
- Ethics: Can we justify the experiments on human beings?
- Can we connect traditions supported by science and force people to follow them as customs?
- Is there a moral obligation to be honest?
Philosophy Thesis Topics For Seniors
- Do developed nations have a moral obligation to address issues such as famine in developing countries?
- Circus in zoos: Are they ethical?
- Exploring the ethics of cryptocurrencies: A case study of Bitcoin.
- Should incarcerated criminals be allowed to have children?
- What are the pros and cons of marriage?
- Dog and cat: Which is more superior?
- Should human beings claim a stake in other planets such as moon and mars?
- What are the pros and cons of genetically modified objects?
- What are the pros and cons of childless families?
- Elderly health: Who should decide whether to take the elderly to care centers: the elderly, their children, or healthcare professionals?
- Steroids in sports: Is it ethical to use steroids to enhance results outcome in athletics?
- Machiavelli ideas: Exploring the negative and positive features.
- Why is cloning banned in most countries?
- Can torture be justified?
Philosophy Thesis Topics on Human Sciences
- A critique of the global assumptions and practices of human behavior
- In what ways do the constructions of human nature affect our lineation and associations?
- Adopting positivism in a world always awash with negative news
- A systematic approach to the natural behavior of man
- Greek philosophers’ role in shaping human sciences
- The origin of existential phenomenology in Europe
- The American infusionism into cultures of the world: its impact
Philosophy Topics for Research Paper
- Evil persons and evil actions: a philosophical perspective
- The effect of the ideology of Darwinism on natural selection
- Intervention vs. information: distinguishing the differences
- Melancholia in teenagers: a psychological analysis
- Relating depression to interactive children
- The logic behind madness in dreams
- The Modern Virtue Theory: the relationship between value, dignity, and human virtue: their relationship
- Sex and sexuality in the 21st century
Philosophy Research Paper Topics for Undergraduate Students
- Monistic modern science vs. pluralistic modern science
- The influence of moral philosophy in our understanding of folk psychology
- The impossibility of escaping mental externalism
- How has the emergence of technology in the 21st century
- Empathy and morality in developing fiction stories and folklores
- When is voluntary suicide justified?
- Fate, destiny, and free will: evaluating the relationship between them
Philosophy Research Topics on Renaissance
- Scientific revolution: its impact on the renaissance period
- Rome vs. Northern Europe: comparing the High Renaissance
- Some godfathers of the Renaissance: their contributions
- Sexuality and eroticism in the 16th century renaissance art
- The Great migration: its impact on literature and art
- Early Renaissance: its impact on medical innovations
- Technological advancements in renaissance culture and art
- Naturalistic beauty in the renaissance period
Philosophical Research Topics for Masters’ Thesis
- The impacts and benefits of the renaissance period on man
- Are people good or evil by nature?
- The limitations to free will in personal decision making
- Utilitarianism: a detailed argument for or against
- How are morals relevant to culture and(or) society
- Aesops’ fables: how have they contributed to human philosophy?
- What roles do group selection and altruism play?
- What role has Bolzano’s mathematical knowledge played in human philosophy?
Buddhist Philosophy Topics List
- Buddhism vs. Hinduism: the view of sin and punishment
- Evaluating misconceptions regarding sexuality in the Buddhist religion
- The relationship between Buddhism and Shinto with China
- The four noble truths of Buddhism: a thorough analysis
- The confluence of Hinduism and Buddhism in India: an in-depth study
- What role did Mahatma Gandhi play in advancing Buddhism ideologies and practices?
- What are the elements of the Buddhism religion that makes it sacred?
Fun Philosophy Paper Topics
- What role do aesthetics play in the study of philosophy?
- What role do ethics play in the survivability of a society?
- In what way has logic been crucial in helping man make rational decisions?
- A thorough analysis of the philosophy of mind with fundamental tenets
- The African philosophy: what are the major revolutions?
- Western philosophy vs. others: why does it have a greater acceptance?
- For what reasons do post-classical and medieval philosophies have a place in the contemporary world?
Topics in Philosophy on Epistemology
- Evaluating the concept of skepticism among different categories of readers
- Knowledge and justification: the internalist account vs. externalist account
- Factors contributing to contexualism in epistemology
- What are the impacts of certain alternative accounts of knowledge?
- The epistemology of lotteries: what are the pros and cons?
- The different positions in epistemology: their pros and cons
- The concept of Shoemaker’s self-blindness
- How is the epistemology of attitudes different from other mental states?
Philosophy Term Paper Topics
- The concept of happiness
- Why is egoism considered a negative trait in man?
- Understanding the motive behind the acts of charity
- Past generations vs. the current generation: which is more affectionate?
- Understanding the concept of true friendship
- What role does technology play in the absence of emotions in some people?
- Time management in campus students vs. time management in high school students
- Can obsession ever replace true love?
Interesting Philosophy Topics for Research Paper
- Can there be true love among teenagers?
- What impact do religious beliefs have on science?
- Testing the viability of the concept “You Only Live Once”
- What are some fundamental flaws in various epistemological theories?
- The unique characteristics of classical philosophy
- What are the major revolutions of the African philosophy
- An in-depth analysis of the limitations of metaphysics as a philosophy branch
- Nature: is there an inherent order or it’s all chaos and chance?
- Did the age of technology make us less happy?
Top-Notch Philosophy Topics to Write a Research Paper on
- Perfection: why do we strive for it if it is unattainable?
- What role does proper management play in making our lives meaningful?
- To be liked or to be respected: which is more important?
- The absolute way of attaining a happy mind
- The possibility of having happiness without sadness
- A critical look at a world without reliance on modern technology
- The chances of robots taking over the world in the future
- Parallel universes: do they exist or are they just fables?
Good Philosophy Thesis Topics
- What role do parents play in instilling morals in their children?
- In what ways is man different from animals?
- Top reasons why we should care about our neighbors
- The judicial system: is it truly serving justice?
- Can a woman be the head of the home?
- The effect of knowing your purpose in life on behavior
- Where do shooting stars fall?
- The possibility of loving more than two people
Easy Topics for Philosophy Research Paper
- Does fate exist in the modern world?
- What are the chances of achieving an ideal society?
- Why should you work when you will still die?
- What are the components of the human consciousness?
- Reasons why it is easier to do bad than to do good
- Feminism: is it overhyped?
- Foundationalism and Coherentism
- The concept of anger in the Buddhism religion and how to manage it
Your Philosophy PhD Thesis Simplified – Nothing but Fun!
From the above philosophy thesis examples, go ahead, and select your preferred option. But this is just the beginning. Actually, you have just started scratching the surface. After selecting the best topics of philosophy, the bigger task of writing a bachelor thesis lays ahead. And you know what? You should not wait; the time to start is now! You have a huge task of crafting the thesis structure and professionally writing your thesis within the stipulated time.
At this moment, we are not going to lie; the task of crafting a winning thesis is monumental. Even those who have some writing skills feel inadequate to embark on it. Well, you do not want to pick a great philosophy thesis topic only to fail because of poor writing. The solution is seeking thesis writing help.
Thesis writing help is offered by experts who have been in the industry for years and done similar philosophy dissertations for other learners. They not only have the right skills but are willing to walk with you to ensure you go through successfully. They will craft the best structure, chapters, and complete the thesis on time. This will give you ample time to seek clarifications, learn, and prepare for defense. What a cheap and easy way to craft a winning dissertation?
If you are in a philosophy class, do not let the dissertation give you stress. You can select any of the above topics, and use writing help to make thesis writing professional and fun.