Philosophy is one of the most interesting areas of study because it deals with fundamental questions that arise in everyday life. These questions concern reality and further extend to other disciplines. The goal of philosophy is not to simply master facts, but to think through them. This means you critically analyze, discern hidden arguments, and construct logical arguments. What an interesting niche!
As a PhD student, your last step is to write a thesis. This is the last paper that demonstrates you are ready to venture into your philosophy career. To write a great philosophy PhD thesis, the first step is picking the right topic.
In this post, we are going to take a closer look at writing a philosophy PhD thesis to help you identify the best topics. We will demonstrate the main areas of philosophy where you can derive good topics and provide a comprehensive philosophy topics list.
The Main Areas to Consider for Your Philosophy PhD Thesis
Before picking the most popular thesis topics for your study, it is important to understand the different areas of philosophy. This will help you narrow down to the area of interest and write a great thesis:
- Epistemology: This is one of the top areas to base your philosophy PhD thesis topics. Epistemology deals with questions about belief and knowledge. Some of the questions that epistemology seeks to answer include what is the difference between believing something and knowing something? What determines whether a belief is rational or not?
- Metaphysics: This is an area of philosophy that focuses on what reality is. In this area of study, you will seek to answer questions on ontology, nature, persons, objects, modality, time, space, and laws of nature, among others. According to Plato, in addition to what is observable, there is an additional realm of eternal entities such as beauty, justice, and goodness.
- Logic: Logic in philosophy, is the study of inference patterns. Unlike in psychology, logic in philosophy is about questions of exploring when a specific claim is supported by other claims. Logical validity is closely connected to concepts such as if, and, or, not, some, and then.
- Political philosophy: This is a branch of philosophy that involves concepts and values related to political matters. Other areas you can base your philosophy thesis topics include moral philosophy and history of philosophy.
How To Select the Best Topics of Philosophy for Your Thesis
When it comes to picking a thesis topic, no effort should be spared to make sure you select the best. Here are some of the main reasons why you should go for good philosophy topics.
Picking a great philosophy thesis topic allows you to identify and fill areas that are lacking. This is an opportunity to leave a mark in the field of philosophy.
Unlike other assignments where the tutor provides you with the topics to work on, the philosophy thesis is one case when you have the opportunity to choose. Therefore, go ahead and pick what pleases you.
The topic you select determines the ease of writing your PhD thesis. For example, a topic with ample resources is easy to work on compared to the one that has none.
With good philosophy research topics, defending your thesis becomes easy.
Interesting Philosophy Topics for Your Dissertation
Now that we have looked at the top areas, you can base your philosophy PhD thesis on; we are going to list popular topics that you can consider. Note that most of the topics take the form of a question because philosophy is all about questioning and seeking logical answers.
- Why we should stop capital punishment and adopt permanent solutions to help solve crimes.
- Can a person be happy without a family?
- A vacation or well-paid job: What would you take?
- Should people always obey the rules? A closer look at the line between breaking rules and rebellion.
- A closer look at modern life values.
- What makes people commit crimes even when they know that they will face capital punishment?
- Is there life after death?
- Loneliness: Reconstructing its meaning.
- Wealth: Is it possible to be rich without having a lot of money?
- The main characters that define a person: Is it possible to change them?
- Understanding why religion is important above anything else for a lot of people around the globe.
- Reasons why we cannot declare humanity as a supreme religion.
- Evaluating life existence: Are humans the only living organisms?
- What makes people kill in the name of religion?
- Morality and religion: Why are they different, yet they talk about the same thing?
- What makes women to be considered less strong physically as compared to men?
- How can the custom of dowry be eliminated from people’s minds?
- To love or to be loved: Which is more important?
- What is the value of truth? Are there instances when lying is good?
- What is the perfect life? What prevents people from living it?
- Is it possible for parents to be the best friends to their children in real sense?
- Evaluating how the age of maturity and age of marriage are defined by society.
- Why social behavior and ethics cannot be separated.
- What is the best way to boost a person’s creativity?
- Are animals different from people?
- A deeper look at things that make human life meaningful.
- What are the pros and cons of total control?
- Is it possible to create an ideal society?
- What are the best ways to reach peace in the world?
- Exploring the roles of good and evil.
- Should the church be involved in politics?
- Euthanasia: Is it ethical?
- Evaluating the relationship between war and peace.
- Social media: A deeper look at how it has affected people’s moral behavior.
- Analyzing the impact of beauty on human development.
- Is it possible to always think positively?
- Should parents be held responsible for the actions of their children?
- A deeper look at supernatural: Is there any proof?
- Suicide: What are the associated pros and cons?
- Can animal experiments be justified?
- What are the pros and cons of communism?
- What are the pros and cons of utilitarianism?
- Evaluating the pros and cons of artificial intelligence.
- Ethics: Can we justify the experiments on human beings?
- Can we connect traditions supported by science and force people to follow them as customs?
- Is there a moral obligation to be honest?
- Do developed nations have a moral obligation to address issues such as famine in developing countries?
- Circus in zoos: Are they ethical?
- Exploring the ethics of cryptocurrencies: A case study of Bitcoin.
- Should incarcerated criminals be allowed to have children?
- What are the pros and cons of marriage?
- Dog and cat: Which is more superior?
- Should human beings claim a stake in other planets such as moon and mars?
- What are the pros and cons of genetically modified objects?
- What are the pros and cons of childless families?
- Elderly health: Who should decide whether to take the elderly to care centers: the elderly, their children, or healthcare professionals?
- Steroids in sports: Is it ethical to use steroids to enhance results outcome in athletics?
- Machiavelli ideas: Exploring the negative and positive features.
- Why is cloning banned in most countries?
- Can torture be justified?
Your Philosophy PhD Thesis Simplified – Nothing but Fun!
From the above philosophy thesis examples, go ahead, and select your preferred option. But this is just the beginning. Actually, you have just started scratching the surface. After selecting the best topics of philosophy, the bigger task of writing the thesis lay ahead. And you know what? You should not wait; the time to start is now! You have a huge task of crafting the thesis structure and professionally writing your thesis within the stipulated time.
At this moment, we are not going to lie; the task of crafting a winning thesis is monumental. Even those who have some writing skills feel inadequate to embark on it. Well, you do not want to pick a great philosophy thesis topic only to fail because of poor writing. The solution is seeking thesis writing help.
Thesis writing help is offered by experts who have been in the industry for years and done similar philosophy dissertations for other learners. They not only have the right skills but are willing to walk with you to ensure you go through successfully. They will craft the best structure, chapters, and complete the thesis on time. This will give you ample time to seek clarifications, learn, and prepare for defense. What a cheap and easy way to craft a winning dissertation?
If you are in a philosophy class, do not let the dissertation give you stress. You can select any of the above topics, and use writing help to make thesis writing professional and fun.