Are you looking for some of the best cybersecurity research topics possible? We know, you want your next research paper to stand out from the rest. You want to get a top grade. Well, the good news is that you have arrived at the right place. You can now choose the most appropriate computer security topic for your next paper in just a few minutes from our list of free topics.
Remember, choosing interesting topics is crucial if you want to get a top grade on your next paper. Your professor or thesis supervisor will greatly appreciate a topic that piques his interest and makes him want to read more.
Writing a Cybersecurity Research Paper
Finding excellent cybersecurity research topics is just the first step of writing a paper worthy of an A+. To make sure you maximize your chances of getting a top grade, you should follow our simple guide:
- Start by picking one of our topics. You can reword it as you see fit, of course.
- Think about a thesis statement that can capture the attention of your professor.
- Next, write a brief but powerful introduction. Don’t forget to include the thesis statement at the top of your intro.
- Write at least 3 body paragraphs, each discussing an important idea. It’s a good idea to start with a strong statement and then use the rest of the paragraph to support it.
- Write a conclusion that restates the thesis statement and summarizes all your research and findings. A call to action can make a good ending.
- Edit your work – at least twice – and then do some serious proofreading. Why lose points over a few typos?
Choosing the Best Cybersecurity Topics
We all know what cybersecurity is: the technologies, regulations and actions taken to protect data and information from digital attacks. And every student should be aware that the cybersecurity topics he chooses for his research papers are extremely important. Why? Because your topic is the first thing your professor sees. Make it an interesting one and you will instantly get bonus points. Even if you make some minor mistakes, you will be less likely to get penalized too severely – but only if your topic is out of the ordinary. Check out our cyber security topic list and choose the ideas you think would captivate the attention of your professor!
Great Network Security Research Topics
Talking about something related to network security can be an excellent choice in 2021, 2022 and beyond. Here are some great network security research topics for you:
- The importance of keeping your software up to date
- An in-depth look at the importance of strong passwords
- What are phishing scams and how do they work?
- Discuss the applications of Hyperscale Network Security
- Best antivirus and firewall protection of 2021
- A closer look at access control best practices
- What is behavioral analytics and how does it work?
- Preventive measures against a distributed denial of service attack
- Best 3 tools for excellent email security
- Talk about network segmentation and its applications
- What is a Remote Access VPN?
- How do modern Intrusion Prevention Systems work?
- Discuss the most effective Data Loss Prevention systems
Latest Information Security Research Topics
Cyber security is a very dynamic field, so you need to keep up with the latest developments. Check out our latest information security research topics:
- A closer look at secure quantum communications
- Talk about the dangers posed by unprecedented attacks
- What is cyber espionage and why is it dangerous?
- Discuss identity theft in the United States
- Best 5 algorithms for data encryption
- Analyze the worst data breaches in 2021
- The importance of data storage centralization
- Talk about black hat hackers vs. grey hat hackers
- A closer look at a proposed hybrid routing protocol for mobile networks
- Effective cybersecurity methods in the Internet of Things
- Discuss the strengths and weaknesses of current authentication methods
- Talk about digital piracy in 2021
Easy Cyber Security Topics for Research
For students who don’t want to spend a lot of time writing their research papers, we have a list of pretty easy cyber security topics for research:
- The role of passwords in the authentication process
- What makes a password strong?
- What is a brute force attack?
- Talk about the term “cloud security”
- The dangers of connecting your device to a public wireless network
- Talk about ways of securing removable media
- How does working remotely affect the security of companies?
- The role of Artificial Intelligence in cybersecurity applications
- Talk about automotive hacking (focus on Tesla)
- Vulnerabilities of cloud computing systems in 2022
- 3 ways to remove malware from a Windows computer
- An in-depth look at botnets in 2021
Current Cyber Security Topics
Our experts are constantly adding new ideas to our list of current cyber security topics, so you can always find something new and interesting to talk about:
- An in-depth look at credit card fraud
- The process of email sender spoofing
- Is online slander a cybercrime?
- Cybersecurity risks posed by remove working
- The latest cloud security threats
- The benefits of implementing multi-factor authentication
- Mobile cybersecurity best practices in 2021 and 2022
- Spotting a social engineering attack
Although not entirely related to cybersecurity, cyberbullying is something we need to talk about – especially since companies are doing their best to counter it. Here are some nice cyberbullying topics:
- Is cyber-harassment a crime?
- Stress and anxiety caused by periodic cyberbullying
- Is cyber-bullying a criminal offense in the US?
- How dangerous is cyber-stalking?
- Revenge porn used as cyberbullying
- Cyberbullying legislation in the European Union
- Best ways to protect yourself from cyberbullying
- The effects of cyberbullying on children
- Stopping cyberbullying in the EU
Cyber Security Research Topics for High School
Don’t worry, we have plenty of ideas for high school students. Here are the cyber security research topics for high school students we recommend you to try:
- Best security measures in Windows
- Discuss an important data encryption algorithm
- Vulnerabilities of modern networks to intrusion
- Talk about secure software engineering
- The dangers of automotive hacking
- Ransomware: attacks on hospitals during the Covid-19 pandemic
- Restoration of lost data (data redundancy)
- Dangerous computer viruses of 2021
- Protecting a Windows machine from viruses
Interesting Technology Security Topics
In this list, we have compiled the most interesting technology security topics we could think of. This list is updated frequently, so you can easily find an original idea:
- Dangers of public Wi-Fi networks
- How important is Cloud security for remote workers?
- Strong passwords and multi-factor authentication
- How to recognize a phishing attack
- How to recognize a social engineering attack
- How does malware work?
- Best mobile protection for your smartphone
- Popular online scams in 2021
- Vulnerabilities of the 5G network
Cybersecurity Research Paper Topics for College
Of course, you need to pick some more complex topics if you are a college student. Check out these cybersecurity research paper topics for college:
- Dangers of data synchronization
- Analyzing human behavior in cybersecurity
- Dangers of improper access controls
- Pros and cons of antivirus software
- The role of the system administrator
- Securing your home Wi-Fi
- Cyber-threats to your privacy in 2022
- Cyberbullying on Facebook
- UNIX vs. Ubuntu security
Ethics of Cyber Security Topics
Talking about the ethics behind cyber security can be a good way to get some bonus points without working too much. Here are some great ethics of information security topics for you:
- Defending against DDoS attacks
- Defending against cross side scripting attacks
- Signs of a phishing attack
- Ransomware attacks of 2021
- Worst software vulnerabilities in the Windows OS
- What are IoT attacks?
- Machine learning used in computer viruses
- Social hacking dangers in 2022
- What are endpoint attacks?
Cyber Security Thesis Topics
If you want to start working on your thesis, you need some great topics to choose from. The good news is that we have plenty of cyber security thesis topics right here:
- Can malware protection prevent all attacks?
- Analyze cold-boot attacks
- The role of the OPSEC team
- Proper authentication methods on the intranet
- Identity theft in 2022
- The role of backups
- Dangers posed by tracking cookies
- Software terms and conditions nobody reads
- How does a security patch work?
- Defining a white hat hacker
Application Security Topics
Do you want to talk about application security? After all, applications are a major part of our lives nowadays. Check out these original application security topics:
- Discuss data leaks in mobile apps
- Dangers of XSS attacks on apps
- What is the unsecure deserialization effect?
- Talk about SQL injection attacks
- The importance of backend access control
- Poorly configured security protocols
- Benefits of logging for applications
- Application security testing best practices
- Malicious apps on Google Play
Hot Topics in Cyber Security
Yes, some topics are better than others – especially when it comes to cybersecurity. Here is a list of hot topics in cyber security that you can use right now:
- What is cyber terrorism?
- Talk about the benefits of the GDPR
- How the law views jailbreaking in the US
- Talk about the Anonymous group
- An in-depth look at cross-site request forgery attacks
- Talk about the common man-in-the-middle attack
- Keeping your personal information safe
- Multi-factor authentication vulnerabilities
- Artificial intelligence security systems
Complex Computer Security Research Topics
Do you want to write about something difficult to impress your professor and classmates? Check out this list of complex computer security research topics:
- Discuss the concept of risk management security
- The basic principles of a social engineering attack
- How does a ransomware attack work?
- How does Facebook protect itself from cyber-attacks?
- Infiltrating a Mac OS X operating system
- Effects of RSA on network security
- Designing a robust cybersecurity system in 2022
- Cyber-attacks and national security risks
Data Security Topics
We can assure you that your teacher will greatly appreciate our interesting data security topics. Pick one of these ideas and start writing your paper today:
- Talk about physical data security
- What is cloud security?
- The dangers of phishing attacks
- Complex mobile device security methods
- The security of removable media devices
- The importance of backup and recovery
- Properly conducting data erasure procedures
- Best authentication methods in 2021
Cyber Crime Research Topics
Of course, cybercrime is one of the most interesting things you can talk about in the field of cybersecurity. Here are some cyber-crime research topics that will work great in 2022:
- The rise in cybercrime in 2021
- The dangers of corporate data theft
- Discuss ransomware attacks on hospitals
- What is cyberextortion and how does it work?
- Protecting yourself against identity theft in 2022
- Discuss the vulnerabilities of card payment data storage
- Worst cases of IoT hacking
- How does website spoofing work?
IT Security Topics
If you don’t want to spend a lot of time writing the research paper, you should seriously consider choosing one of our excellent IT security topics for students:
- Peculiarities of the 2014 cyber-attack on Sony
- Compare and contrast 3 types of hacking
- Modern warfare and the role of cybersecurity
- Talk about the importance of unified user profiles
- How important is biometrics in cybersecurity?
- Cookies and your privacy online
- 3 ways of network intrusion
- How does a firewall actually work?
Policy and Governance Ideas
Yes, you can absolutely talk about policy and governance in cybersecurity. In fact, we have some of the latest and most interesting policy and governance ideas right here:
- Talk about challenges in IT risk management
- How is a governance network established?
- Talk about the best resource management policies
- The role of IT governance on value delivery
- The role of the Acceptable Use Policy (AUP)
- Discuss the importance of a reliable disaster recovery plan
- The access control policy at Twitter
- What is a business continuity plan?
Controversial Security Research Topics
Are you looking for some controversial security research topics that are sure to capture the attention of your professor? We have some of the latest ideas right here for you:
- A closer look at what caused the severe Colonial Pipeline attack
- Discuss the dangers of blockchain attacks
- What are AI attacks? (+ their link to machine learning)
- Problems with protecting clients’ personal information
- What are BYOD policies and why are they so important?
- Can a hacker really be ethical?
- A lack of cybersecurity regulations in the United States
- Companies vulnerable to a wide array of cyber-attacks
Important Cyber Security Research Paper Topics
Some things are more important than others in the world of cybersecurity. Here are examples of what we consider to be the most important cyber security research paper topics:
- The negative effects of DDoS attacks (+mitigation)
- Talk about the use of biometrics as a cybersecurity method
- Talk about cybersecurity in the European Union
- How safe is data encryption in 2021?
- Keeping up to date with data protection regulations
- The inherent dangers and flaws of an intranet
- The rise in cybercrime over the last 5 years
- Terrorist groups and the cybersecurity threats they pose
- An in-depth analysis of the Stuxnet virus
- Latest and most interesting cybersecurity technologies
- The human factor in cybersecurity applications
- Cyber-attacks on computer hardware in 2021
- How important are cybersecurity audits for SMBs?
- The disastrous effects of a successful Ransomware attack
Hacking Research Paper Topics
Talking about hacking can be a fun way to write your research paper, especially if you have some previous knowledge. Check out these nice hacking research paper topics:
- What is a packet sniffer and how does it work?
- Talk about the basic architecture of a computer virus
- An in-depth analysis of a Trojan horse
- Talk about the 2003 Sobig virus architecture
- Various types of security exploits
- The role and function of a vulnerability scanning tool
- An in-depth look at the rootkit software
- Talk about the three major types of hacking
- The cleverness behind the infamous Klez virus attack
- What is ethical hacking? (with examples)
- Discuss social engineering attacks in 2021
- How does a key logger work?
- Why did the Mydoom virus cause so much damage?
Cyber Law Topics
Our cyber law topics are some of the best you can find online. And the best part is that they’re not even that difficult to write about. Take your pick right now:
- Analyze the 5 Laws of Cybersecurity
- Talk about the importance of the Cybersecurity Information Sharing Act
- Most important cybersecurity regulations in North America
- The importance of the brand new CISA Cyber Exercise Act
- Cybersecurity laws and regulations in the European Union
- Tough cybersecurity laws in China
- Lacking cybersecurity legislation in African countries
- Talk about 3 data protection laws in the US
- An in-depth look at the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act
- Important EU and UK cybersecurity laws
- Talk about The Pipeline Security Act in the United States
Operational Security Topics
Would you like to talk about operational security measures implemented by large corporations? Here are some unique operational security topics you could try:
- The role of OPSEC in a company’s cybersecurity efforts
- Talk about the process of identification of critical information
- The use of OPSEC in the U.S. Navy
- The role of the Overarching Security Policy
- An in-depth look at the analysis of vulnerabilities
- What is the analysis of threats and how is it done?
- Application of appropriate OPSEC measures at Facebook
- Methods of conducting a thorough assessment of risk
- OPSEC assessments during the Vietnam War
- Compare COMSEC with OPSEC
- OPSEC in Alphabet Inc.: A Case Study
- Best practices for operational security in 2022
- Talk about Security Awareness Training and its importance
Rely on Our Knowledgeable Writing Experts
Are you about to start working on your PhD dissertation? You probably need more than just a list of cyber security hot topics. Well, now you can get all the thesis help you need from our expert researchers and ENL academic writers. Our custom research papers, theses and dissertations are written by Master’s and Phd degree holders and we guarantee top quality content and on-time delivery.
Getting a doctoral degree is not easy, we know. Our trustworthy and knowledgeable writing experts are ready to help you with quick, reliable academic writing services that will help you get the top score on your next paper – no matter how difficult the topic may be. So, what are you waiting for? Get in touch with our 24/7 customer support and get the help you need right now!