Is an abstract the same as an introduction? This is one of the questions we receive most frequently, so we thought it would be a good idea to write an article about the abstract vs introduction problem. Most students don’t know how to differentiate between the two, especially if they are new to academic writing. Even though the two things are somewhat similar, there is at least one major difference between introduction and abstract. In this article, we will discuss the similarities and differences between the two. What is the difference between an abstract and an introduction? Let’s find out!
The Abstract Vs Introduction Problem
Introduction vs abstract: which one does what? Because many professors don’t explain these two terms to their students, it’s easy to confuse them. We consider that this is not the students’ fault. If they don’t know the difference between an abstract and an introduction, it’s easy to make a grave mistake. Of course, you will get penalized harshly for this. This blog post aims to provide information about abstract vs introduction scientific paper writers need to make sure they don’t get an F on their next essay.
Abstract and Introduction: What Are They?
So, let’s discuss abstract vs introduction APA style. An abstract is basically a summary of a complex paper (such as a thesis or a research paper).
The abstract summarizes all the different parts of the paper, including the research problem, the objectives, the methods, the results, and the conclusion. After reading the abstract, the reader should know exactly what the paper is about and how it is structured. The length of an abstract is around 250-300 words.
The introduction, on the other hand, is there to give your readers an idea of what you are about to talk about and introduce your thesis statement.
It can contain a bit of background information, but it does not delve into the specifics of your research methods or results. Also, the introduction does not discuss the conclusion of the paper in any way.
The Key Difference Between Abstract and Introduction
OK, but what is the major difference between abstract and introduction? In simple terms, the abstract is a summary of the entire research paper. It briefly discusses the methods, results and conclusion. The introduction, on the other hand, is there to entice the reader to read the entire paper. It discusses just the background of the problem and the objectives of the paper. You will never see the conclusion being discussed in an introduction.
Is an APA abstract vs introduction different from MLA or other types of academic writing? No, the abstract and the introduction are just as different regardless of the academic writing style. You should never confuse one for the other because the consequences can be a rejected paper or at the very least a very low grade.
Introduction vs Abstract: The Similarities
Now that you know the main difference between an abstract and introduction, it’s time to talk about similarities. This should help you avoid any confusion:
- Both the introduction and the abstract are placed at the beginning of a research paper. In fact, an abstract can be considered a de-facto introduction.
- Both the abstract and the introduction are there to provide some information about the subject and about the objectives of your research paper.
- Both can be used as a way to attract the interest of a reader.
However, this is where the similarities end. Never assume that you can write an introduction in place of an abstract. Of course, you can’t write an abstract in place of an introduction either. This is the information about abstract vs introduction lab report writers need to know before they start writing their first paper. We know that sometimes writing an abstract can be more difficult than the introduction to abstract algebra in high school. However, with practice, you will quickly get the hang of it.
Abstract and Introduction Examples
To help you understand the meaning and role of an abstract better, we have written an example abstract for you and broken it down into pieces:
- As of 2021, residual herbicide that is accumulating in certain crops is posing a growing threat to the rice-wheat rotation in northern India. (The background part)
- When it comes to pesticides and pesticide metabolites, green manure has been shown to stimulate ample co-mineralization. By incorporating it into the soil, the effects of the herbicide residue can be mitigated. (The objectives part)
- During a three-year study at the North Indian Wheat Research Institute, Azolla Pinata and A. Carolingiana have been used as green manure. The effects of the green manure on the Propanil and Buthachlor herbicides has been evaluated, as well as the mineralization and co-metabolization of the herbicides, using a process known as liquid chromatography. (The material and methods part)
- Initial results indicate that Azolla Pinata caused the Propanil herbicide to co-mineralize in 14 days. However, the green manure did not have the intended effect on the Buthachlor herbicide during the study. (The findings part)
- After analyzing the findings of the study, we can say for certain that Azolla Pinata used as green manure can prevent residual Propanil accumulation. (The conclusion part)
An example introduction for the paper would look something like this:
Residual herbicides are posing a growing threat to the systems of rice-wheat rotation in Northern India. According to a recent study by the North Indian Wheat Research Institute, Azolla Pinata is able to co-mineralize some herbicides. Understanding the process by which this happens is important for the future of Indian rice and wheat crops. This research paper aims to answer the following question: how does green manure co-mineralize certain herbicides? We will first analyze the soil and the herbicide accumulation, then we will discuss the effects of green manure, and finally we will analyze the potential applications.
Abstract versus introduction: I still don’t understand the difference! No problem, you are certainly not the only one. Many students are emailing us to get more information about these two important parts of their research papers. Instead of struggling to write something you don’t understand, why don’t you get some one on one help from our academic writing experts? In case you don’t know how to write the abstract or are struggling to write an excellent introduction for your paper, we can help you.
We can not only write you an abstract introduction, but also help you with the research and analysis part of your paper. It goes without saying that our writers and editors can also write your paper from scratch from start to finish. You will get an awesome essay that will thrill your professor. Getting a top grade is now easier than ever with our help.
We know that you are probably reluctant to get help from an online academic writing service. However, we can assure you that our experts will do a great job. All our papers are 100% original, written from scratch. We do not sell pre-written papers, period. And remember, getting quality assistance with your introduction and abstract is just one message away. What are you waiting for?